Table of Contents
- Remember, its just a game, strictly speaking.
- No cheating.
- There are no other rules.
Harassment and Doxxing Policy
work in progress
Codification of Cheating Policy
The server operates on a common law precedent based legal system to resolve disputes with administrators about in game legality of actions. The goal of this post is to summarize the precedent set by various cases as well as possible, in cases where it does not line up with historical precedent perfectly historical precedent comes first and will be what admin actions are based on. In the case that you are ever uncertain about the legality of an action please message modmail at /r/Civcraft. The administrators will be more than happy to tell you and if you request even provide relevant cases.
Please also keep in mind that the server is also beholden to the laws and regulations of the country in which it is currently hosted in.
The subreddit has different rules and guidelines, which can be found in the /r/Civcraft sidebar.
Mumble rules can be found here.
Note: This page is based on ttk2's original post called Codification of Cheating Policy.
Actions defined as cheating
- The use of any client side modification to the Minecraft client that changes the data being sent to the server from the behavior of the standard client.
- The use of a client side modification to gain and act on more information about the server map than possible with the default client.
Note: Players found to be cheating using evidence from the server terminal may appeal their ban with a modmail message.
Players who have evidence of another player is cheating according to the definition above must report such incidents to modmail with accompanying evidence and case support.
Players sometimes use external programs or mods to automate tasks within the client by writing scripts or macros. Heavily automated ones are often called “bots” by the player base. Scripts are similar to mods and must abide by the above rules.
- Scripts must not perform task at above human capability.
- Reading environmental data (See 1. and 2. above).
This is just a restatement of the above cheating policy. The following are examples and do not cover all cases, but do illustrate some of the functions of bots that do not abide by the above requirements. If you have any questions as to whether or not your mod or script abides by cheating policy then contact modmail and share the script there. The metric used to judge a bot's legality is whether or not a human can access the same information with the vanilla client with similar levels of efficiency. While a human can see durability values with the vanilla client, a bot is capable of, without fail, perfectly acting on durability levels for long periods of time, where a human would otherwise make a mistake. Bots that try and act on environmental information but try to mimmick human error are still not acceptable.
Examples of Illegal Functions of Bots:
- Auto clicker macros that clicks for the player in Player vs. Player combat and also detects when players come in range and starts attacking (aimbot). Any auto clicker that is worth using in combat operates at above human capabilities and is ban-able. Autoclickers need to be a fair bit slower than best-case human speed. Sure, I can click my mouse six times a second in ideal conditions, but not for 20 seconds solid while moving it and running etc. Essentially any combat clicker worth using is bannable and anything not bannable isn't worth using.
- An autofisher bot that reads the state of the fishing rod to detect if a fish has been caught. The bot must not read environmental data.
- Mining bot that detects uses block identifiers or id's to detect ores. The bot must not read environmental data.
- Farming bot that uses identifiers or id's in its operation.
- Obsidian mining bot that uses block identifiers or id's to detect the obsidian.
Examples of Legal Functions of Bots:
- Autofisher that uses a timer or redstone.
- Mining bot that simply holds down left click.
- Farming bot that uses coordinates to orient itself instead of detecting the blocks around it.
- Responding to or using chat information. Chat information is not map information so it abides by 1. & 2. above.
- Obsidian mining bot that uses coordinates and timers to mine the obsidan.
Notes on other client modifications
Modifications such as player radar, optifine, way-point systems, texture packs, etcetera do not modify the data the client sends to the server and thus do not fall under the definition of cheating as outlined above. Ideally it would be possible to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the use of mods enhancing the display of data sent to the client for things other than the occasionally obvious use of x-ray. Since this is sadly not the case we have chosen to not ban for controversial mods such as player radar on the premise that it is better to do nothing at all than act on shaky evidence.
Case law and precedent
A list of important cases that set precedent. Any cases denoted as 'Vs Civcraft' are moderator as opposed to player initiated.
- Scylla Vs Civcraft: Actions that are statistically impossible are considered “proof beyond a reasonable doubt”
- IPartyOnYourDog Vs Civcraft: If for some reason you want to be banned we will skip the formalities and oblige you.
- RegalCheese Vs Civcraft: Duplication of items using a client mod is considered cheating, possession of duped items or encountering a dupe glitch in the non-modded client is not.
- Summoner Vs MineCraftIsFTW: Use of Nodus or possession of other cheating mods is not alone grounds for a ban, but must be combined with evidence of actions meeting the definition of cheating above.
Civcraft uses a special alternate account detector script to find and prevent the use of alternate accounts to escape pearling. Any account you have ever used to log onto Civcraft is considered your alt and the script may create a chain of associations between accounts detected as your alts and other accounts regardless of other factors. If the script results in a false association as it often will you may be banned without actually having two pearled alts, simply message modmail to resolve the issue, if you wish to nip this in the bud message modmail with all of your alts before playing or generally just before something goes wrong. Otherwise when your account has 2 imprisoned alternate accounts it will no longer be able to log in until at least one of those accounts is freed.
Civcraft Administration Policy
- Civcraft admins exist to create, maintain, and expand game mechanics that allow the creation of player societies in Minecraft this is the source as well as the limit to their authority.
- In situations where the above directive has been compromised, admins may interfere to correct the game world from the flaw in mechanics. The players in question are to present to the subreddit, in the same style as player accusation policy, arguments and evidence that a particular in game action violates the directive and should be corrected. As in accusation policy the other affected party must be notified and given a period of time to defend their actions as legitimate mechanics.
- Depending on the conclusion of the administration from the presented reasoning changes will be made to resolve the situation to one resembling the outcome of correct mechanics, this is up to the discretion of administrators as to how far compensation and changes are to go based on practical constraints.
- If there is reasonable evidence to conclude that an in game action violates the directive and has irreversible consequences an individual can make a post filing for an injunction such that the action in question be paused and discussed in the policy outlined in the second bullet, if it is found to be legitimate the situation is to be reversed to its pre injunction state.
- As in player accusation policy this is an adversarial system, the presiding administrator acts as judge and does not present arguments but instead comes to a conclusion based on those presented by each party, if you wish to contest an argument do not do so with the presiding admin, it will be ignored, instead make all arguments with the opposing party.
Banned player association
Due to the nature of Minecraft, Civcraft may often have cases where players are banned for cheating and then proceed to return through evasive use of stolen or new accounts to continue playing with and being supplied by their same in game group. With the goal of properly enforcing cheating rules and make less effective alt evasion to continue cheating on our server we have instituted penalties for players knowingly associating with and supplying banned players. A player who associates with a cheater who has been previously convicted and banned in such a way that it is reasonable to assume they were aware of the cheaters banned status will be banned from the server for a short period as a warning. Continued association will result in longer and longer sentences.
- All evidence regarding exploiting and cheating must be reported to mod mail.
- Modmail is where all official communication goes. Do not try and contact an admin outside of modmail to inquire about ban status or such.
- If you haven't reported to modmail, but told an admin in mumble or in a reddit private message, then you haven't told them at all. Use modmail.
First gather evidence and compile it all into a singe clearly titled message containing all the information you can gather from multiple independent sources.
What's good evidence? A video like this that shows off togglesprint is one good example. Screenshots, as well as audio recordings over Mumble are good to have as well. You should have the following in order record someone's hacking when you encounter it:
- The ability to press F2 and access your Minecraft screenshots from your Minecraft's folder. (External cameras work as well if you can't use this.)
- A screen recorder like FRAPS, Bandicam, or something that's reliable for at least ten minutes of video in game. It should be able to record at the press of a button.
- An audio recoder by either using Mumble's recorder or an external recorder. Apps on cell phones that record over a period of time can be useful if you want to record and not let others know.
Try your best to present your case with the evidence you gather, but remember that the admins only ban once it's clear the player hacked or doxxed. Images can be posted to imgur.com videos can be posted on Youtube, and sounds can be posted to soundcloud.com.